In the beginning of March, the Swiss National Team was training in Portugal for 9 days to prepare the new season. OCAD is a long-time partner of the Swiss Orienteering Team and was of course widely used to set courses and prepare maps before the camp: 8 different course setters prepared 19 trainings with a total of over 400 controls.
To guarantee highest quality of the trainings, lot of work had to be done behind the scene. An internal document lists the key points: – Always check if the scale is correct. – Cut the control circles and connection lines where needed. – Check the control description. – Are the North lines on the map? – On the map with all controls, the control numbers should not cover the control location.
Furthermore, the course setters always use the same course setting template. For every scale, there’s a template, which contains additional symbols, like frames for printing, text symbols or a special North Arrow. This results in a uniform appearance and underlines the common spirit. Also, it guarantees the same color settings for all trainings.
All final courses were exported as GIF’s and double-checked. When everything was in order, PDF’s for printing were created. The printed maps were controlled once again. The result of this effort: Perfect trainings!
Facts and figures: 36 Athletes, 9 Staff, 1100 printed maps (+250 maps from competitions), more than 15h of total work alone for the relay training (setting the course, putting out 50 controls and SI-units and collecting the afterwards).
OCAD 2019 is just a new name to underline that you are using a software that is constantly evolving and which contains new features and standards. It’s not a new version. If you are on a subscription model, you will automatically receive OCAD 2019 with the latest Service Update and do not need to purchase any new licenses.
For technical reasons, OCAD installation folders, etc., will continue to be marked as OCAD 2018. However, the general strategy is to omit the year in the name of each OCAD edition in the future.
There is a Wiki page, which summarises Tipps and Tricks with Keyboard and Mouse to optimize your drawing and editing skills in OCAD. It’s really worth to have a look there! For each function there is a link for an animation and further information.
New functions for the OCAD Course Setting module have been added with the latest Service Update 18.2.2.
– With the Compose Course tool, course setting has become faster and easier. First click adds a start object, each additional click adds a control point and double click adds a finish object to the map and the course.
– To start successfully with a Course Setting project, we added the New Course Setting Project Wizard. This wizard guides you through the first steps, like choosing the right symbol set and loading a map file in the background layer.
The new functions will be explained briefly in this video.
OCAD 2018 runs as app on clouds like DropBox or OneDrive. Install your Team or Single User Licenses in the Cloud.
Especially the installation of OCAD Team User Licenses in the Cloud, has many advantages.
– You have only one installation and it’s therefore also much easier to update
– It’s becoming easier to transfer a Team license from one member to another one
– When a Team member starts OCAD, he can choose an available license.